- the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
- the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
- the use of this art: Magic, it was believed, could enable the magicians to spend money that someone else also believed they held at the same time.
- the effects produced: the illusion of great wealth.
- power or influence exerted through this art: global dictatorship.
Deficits don't matter!